Parva with Fishman Tripleplay?

Anyone tried controlling their Parva with a Fishman TriplePlay? Or any other guitar midi controllers?
I have an FTP and, considering it’s multitimbrality, MPE compatibility and polyphonic voice count, the Parva strikes me as the ultimate guitar synth.

Havent found anyone who has actually tried Parva with a midi guitar yet online. Anyone have any experiences to share? I’m quite curious.

If anyone has tried it, they haven’t mentioned it to me. I’m interested to see how well it works – I’ll have to see if I can borrow a MIDI pickup locally.

Pleae do! Would love to hear the report. The FIshman would definitely be the best choice for it i think because you can easily split the strings across 6 midi channels and send the data to a daw or directly to the class compliant usb input with just a pickup and a usb receiver. With the roland GK you need an additional box (Roland guitar synth or Gk-midi converter) for midi conversion, and the tracking is less accurate and higher latency, even though FTP is wireless and GK isnt.

On paper it sounds like the FTP and the Parva are a perfect match For eachother. To be able to assign a 3 osc analog synth voice to each guitar string and have complete freedom to edit the timbre and modulation for each one independently would make it an incredibly compelling synth for this application. Definitely has the potential to be far more impressive than any of Roland’s offerings. I suspect many guitar synth users are looking for something exactly like the Parva and would be very compelled by the features, especially the full multitimbrality, appropriate voice count, full midi control, true analog synthesis,individual outs… those are all things midiguitar folks have yearned for from Roland for a long time and at the moment there are zero guitar synthesizers on the market that exhibit this wish list of features. Only Parva.

If it works, it might be a good cross promotional oppurtunity. Marketing Parva’s suitability for Tripleplay would be a great way to spread the word to a whole new demographic of musicians that apparently havent been exposed to it yet.

This video by Geert Bevin should give you an idea of the possibilities. He’s controlling Parva with a LinnStrument, using its row-per-channel and strum modes so that it behaves like an 8[?]* string guitar. He’s set up the Parva so that each channel has a slightly different patch “not unlike each string of a guitar having a different thickness.” (The video description goes into more detail about the setup.)

(*) Not sure how many rows he’s actually using in the piece.

It looks like the Fishman Tripleplay works with the Parva. Demo video coming soon …

Sorry if my english is approximative.

I use my Parva with an old but exelent converter: terratec axon ax 100 mk2, with sensors piedzo + expander “ghost”, by graphtech, on my guitar. After long searches it did appears like the best.
I confirm that the sensors graphtech are very much better than the roland system, more accurate, and very better for to play with finger. The terratech also, more accurate than roland systems, with less latence, with various settings of sensibility and with possibilities that no exist in others material. It don’t work with MPE but with one channel for each string I have a very good restitution of playing, with bends and all sensitivity. Terrific! But I had to take a lot of time for to find perfect settings.

BUT, two problems, who were worst with roland: There is still a little bit latence, not pleasant. Especially when I play fast rythmic sequences. For exemple it’s difficult to keep tempo in fast arpeggios for a long time. And sometime short unwanted notes can appears if I don’t play cleanly.

I still wait for the perfect system.
I don’t think that the fishman is better (but better price!), I did read that had also latence, and I have more confiance in piezo sensors.

If You try it I would be grateful to know it.

Hi Userman! You might be surprised to hear that the Fishman Triple Play is actually designed by Andras Szalay, the very same person who created the Axon system.

http://tracyevans.name/2012/05/10/andras-szalay-the-father-of-the-fishman-triple-play-midi-guitar-controller/

There is a widely held consensus in the midi guitar community that it is the lowest latency guitar pitch-to-midi system ever introduced to market. I personally use one and can confirm it is definitely lower latency than my old ROLAND system.

Here are some relevant links to discussions I’ve found online regarding this subject :

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10700.0
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8534.0

The demo video will have to wait a while, but having now used it myself, I can say that the FTP works well with the Parva. I just plugged the receiver into the USB host port, powered on the transmitter on the guitar, and it plays. Just messing around with it, the latency seems very low. Either the pickup or my fingers need some calibration to eliminate occasional “squeak” notes, though.

I need to try it to be sure…

Exactly what i wanted to hear! The Parva is now officially on my shopping list.

I doubt there are any compatibility problems, but It’d be good to have official confirmation on a few specifics: did you check that sliding and bending notes function as expected? Note that the pitch bend range on the synth must be set to +12/-12 for it to work properly.

Also, Did you by chance try it in MiDI mono mode (strings split across midi channels 11-16)? The procedure isnt documented in the manual, but to set it up, simply instantiate “hardware synth” devices on Split 1 and Split 3, and set them both to mono. This should allow the synth voices to be assigned to specific strings.

thanks!

In my brief experiment, bending mostly worked as expected. I did occasionally get glitches, where a new note would sound while I was modulating a bend, but I believe that was more due to technique and calibration than compatibility.

I did not. I literally just plugged it in, turned it on, and started playing. I have the FTP setup on my own guitar right now, so if I eventually have a free moment, I’ll try to go into more depth.

One compatibility thing I found was that it’s sending something on the same MIDI CC assigned to OSC3 Glide. That’s not usually a problem, but it could result in some weird sounds with certain patches.

futuresonos

‘mono mode’ or ‘note per channel’ is night and day in terms of tracking with the fishman tripleplay. PB +12/-12. you will more less nullify and pitch squacks using this method. i cannot stress how different it tracks! i want to buy a parva as my goto synth for my linnatrument and tripleplay. you’ve done lovely job designing it. please give the MPE people alot of love because you are essentially the only(modern) game in town and it’ll sell you some units if the integration is proper.

I actualy try the tripleplay and it works fine, very better than the axon ax100 for tracking and latence if plugged directly in the Parva.

Very good in mono mode with the Parva’s multimode. Glide react better but it depend of settings.

mono mode is polyphonic, it’s one note per channel. poly mode is all six string in channel 1.

Poly mode works as well as mono mode for my, in the condition of setting PB in trigger mode.

All is better than with Axon system exept that there is no midi settings, like to chose midi channel per split layer like with the Axon. And splits works only with mono mode, and not well without the software. It’s a little complicate to explain but for me that is a big problem for use it in my set.

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Thought I’d chime in here and give a little bump in case anyone has anything to add to the subject. Still haven’t seen a demo of the Parva with a midi guitar pickup.

I’m interested in this setup for pedal steel. One question I have… Would it be possible to feed the Parva two midi guitar pickups? I imagine I’d have to use an external midi host, which would be fine. The pedal steel has 10 strings, so I’m considering two fishman triple plays to get all the strings involved.